The Harrisburg Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) is seeking grant applications for environmental projects within the City of Harrisburg that improve Recycling and Waste Management.
Upon review of all submitted proposals, the EAC and the Administration will recommend to City Council that one or more applications be approved for funding. The funding pool for this grant cycle is $35,000, and applications for grants of $5,000 or more will be accepted.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of their Management Approach, Environmental Benefit, Community Benefit, and Sustainability. Proposed grant projects will require sponsorship by a City Department/Bureau. City sponsorship will involve upfront review and endorsement of the project approach/concept, plus financial tracking and oversight of project implementation. If applications are not submitted and/or recommended for the total amount of funding ($35,000), projects addressing other environmental issues, such as preservation and enhancement of natural resources, may be considered.
Grant funding comes from the Host Municipality Benefit Fee. Pennsylvania Act 101 requires the Harrisburg Incinerator, now known as the Susquehanna Resource Management Complex, to pay the City $1 per ton for all waste burned at the facility. The Harrisburg Strong Plan requires the Host Fee to be used for environmental projects.
Grant applications can be downloaded by clicking here and should be submitted to: Geoffrey Knight Bureau of Planning The Rev. Martin L. King, Jr. City Government Center 10 North 2nd Street Suite 206 Harrisburg, PA 17101 (717)-255-6637 email@example.com
The 2015 schedule for the grant program is as follows:
- Complete By Event March 29
- Advertise grant availability April 24
- Deadline for applicants to request meetings with city departments May 15
- Deadline for receipt of applications May 15-June 1
- EAC & City Administrative review of applications/meetings with Applicants June 1
- EAC & City Administrative recommendations on grant awards June 12
- Deadline for submittal of grant funding recommendations to City Clerk for inclusion on June 16th legislative agenda June 17-June 29
- City Council committee meeting to interview Applicants June 30
- City Council legislative session and final vote on grant awards