The Planning Commission includes seven members, appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of City Council, in accordance with §2-301.3 of Administrative Code.
The Planning Commission shall exercise all of the following powers and duties:
- to prepare a Comprehensive Plan and present it to the City Council of the City of Harrisburg for its consideration;
- to make recommendations to the City Council regarding the adoption or amendment of the Zoning Code, including the official Zoning Map;
- to prepare, recommend, and administer subdivision and land development regulations;
- to review and provide recommendations on Special Exceptions and Variances to the Zoning Hearing Board;
- to carry out other duties as conferred on “planning agencies” by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, as amended;
- to carry out duties authorized by the City of Harrisburg Planning and Zoning Code, the Subdivision and Land Development Code, and other City codes, executive orders, and resolutions;
- to establish rules and bylaws to govern procedures and other matters under the jurisdiction of the Planning Commission;
- to submit an annual report to the Harrisburg City Council by March 1st, as required by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Code.