1. Complete an application, making sure to include proof of income (Includes, but is not limited to 3 most recent pay stubs or last year’s W2s, federal or state tax returns, alimony, disability, and/or Department of Human Services statements).
2. Funding is provided as follows:
a. Owner Occupied: Grant funds will be provided towards lead hazard control. The Lead Hazard Reduction Demonstration Program can typically provide up to $13,500 in grant funds towards your project. However, other sources of funding will be explored to match to our funds (i.e., funds from city or community, housing agency).
b. Rental Properties: Grant funds will be provided from $2,000 to $13,500 PER UNIT, dependent upon certain criteria of your property. The remaining costs must be paid by the rental property owner. If the total project cost does not exceed the grant amount that we are providing, rental property owners are asked to contribute $500 copay per unit.
3. Program field staff will contact you to visit the home to conduct an initial site visit and to determine if the home meets basic housing code standards.
4. If approved for the Lead Hazard Reduction Demonstration Program, a field staff will come back to your home and do a full lead inspection/risk assessment at no cost to find areas that are hazardous to young children.
5. Based on this inspection, the field staff will write a list detailing what needs to be fixed to make the home lead-safe.
6. The field staff will bid and contract with a state-certified lead abatement contractor to perform the work.
7. The lead hazard reduction work typically takes 10-20 days to complete. You will be required to relocate from the house during the lead safe interim controls. A relocation stipend will be available upon request until funds are no longer available.
Call (717) 255-6419 for an application and additional information.
Lead Hazard Reduction Demonstration Program
Department of Building & Housing Development
10 N 2nd Street, Suite 206
Harrisburg, PA 17101