May 11, 2016 HARRISBURG – Mayor Eric Papenfuse will join downtown business leaders to announce “Dino-mite Summer,” at a press conference slated for 11:30 a.m. Thursday in the Atrium of the MLK Government Center, 10 N. Second St.
Harrisburg Young Professionals, Hershey Harrisburg Regional Visitors Bureau, Harrisburg Downtown Improvement District and Downtown After Dark Marketing have partnered to sponsor “Dino-mite Summer,” which will include an interactive outdoor art exhibition featuring colorful dinosaurs to delight both young and old.
“This promises to bring excitement to our downtown area this summer,” said Mayor Papenfuse. “And we know people will want to come to see this creative exhibit and enjoy all that Harrisburg has to offer.”
Based on the success of the 2003 Cow Parade, Harrisburg joins the trend of summer outdoor art exhibitions in cities across America. The larger than life dinosaurs will be unveiled on Friday, May 27, to kick-off summer during Memorial Day weekend and the city’s Artsfest celebration.
The exhibit features a collection of 30 fiberglass dinosaurs, designed, embellished, and painted by local and regional artists. The dinosaurs will line the sidewalks of Downtown Harrisburg for free public viewing and enjoyment by tens of thousands of area residents and visitors from June through August.
The dinosaurs will include Dine-O-Saurus, Strawberry Rex, Ameri Saurus, Rock’Em Sock’Em Dinos and many more.
Each dinosaur is sponsored by a business or organization, and upon conclusion of Dino-mite Summer, the exhibits will be refurbished and auctioned off to benefit Shalom House, a Harrisburg-based shelter for women and children in need.
Dino-mite Summer will be complemented by a series of events featuring music, food, and activities to run in companion with the public art exhibit. The full list of scheduled events and an interactive map of the dinosaurs can be found online at DinomiteSummer.com and Facebook (facebook.com/DinomiteSummer). Residents and visitors are encouraged to follow @DinomiteSummer on Instagram and share their photos with the dinosaurs using #DinomiteSummer.
Events will include:
Bringing back First Fridays to the state’s capital city, presented by Harrisburg Young Professionals and Standard Parking, live music concerts will punctuate the first Friday of each month at the Faulkner Nissan Stage on the roof of the River Street Parking Garage.
- June 3 “Reggae on the Roof” with The Wailers, Bob Marley’s reggae band
- July 1 TBD
- August 5 “Rooftop Rock show” with The Struts, a rock band that pays tribute to the classics
These late afternoon events will feature family friendly events intended to draw in a large demographic of visitors from throughout the area for a fun and safe evening in Downtown Harrisburg.
- June 11 “Prehistoric Putt Putt” Mini Golf Tournament, Downtown Harrisburg will be set-up as a strolling miniature golf course. Play through and win!
- July 9 “Dino City Cook Off” A combined wing, chili and salsa cook-off featuring downtown restaurants.
- August 12 “Jurassic Jazz & Arts Festival” A pop-up park featuring local artists highlight local art galleries while jazz musicians perform at downtown restaurants.
Downtown Harrisburg employees can take advantage of special workday events on the fourth Thursday of each month during Dino-mite Summer.
- June 23 “Bedrock Block Party,” A lunchtime cookout featuring live music and food concessions.
- July 28 “DINE-O-MITE Sidewalk Carnival,” Second Street’s sidewalks will be lined with carnival games, street performers and live music. Lunch specials featured at downtown restaurants.
- August 25 “Cupcake Jamboree” A dessert street fair featuring dessert stands, “Battle of the Cupcakes” contest and live music, plus downtown lunch specials.
Jurassic Park After Dark
Every Tuesday in June, families can catch an outdoor screening of a different Jurassic Park movie. Location TBA.
- June 7 “Jurassic Park”
- June 14 “The Lost World: Jurassic Park”
- June 21 “Jurassic Park III”
- June 28 “Jurassic World”
Custom Craft Beer
Local brewery, The Brewery at Hershey, has partnered with the initiative to custom brew a special beer in conjunction with Dino-mite Summer.
“Burgosaurus Rex” will be refreshing summery cream ale, brewed with Sorachi Ace hops and a hint of lemon. It should be around 5% ABV, making it an easy drinker with vast appeal. The beer will be available at a variety of downtown bars and restaurants.
Follow Dino-mite Summer:
For more information, contact Joyce M. Davis, Director of Communications, City of Harrisburg at 717 255 3015 or at email@example.com
Leave a reply →