Hillary Greene | Procurement Services and Compliance Manager
The Office of Purchasing is a division of the Bureau of Financial Management established to review Department and Bureau procurement requests for operating goods and services in excess of $1,000 annually for compliance with the City of Harrisburg Purchasing Policy
The Purchasing Office is responsible for overseeing the procurement of most City materials, supplies, and services. All procurement files for public bids and purchase orders are documented by the Purchasing Office.
Furthermore, this office must assure fair and equitable distribution of City contracts and agreements for capital and non-capital products and services, including the preparation and advertising of public bids and the awarding of those contracts.
The City of Harrisburg makes purchases on the open market, by informal or formal requests, or by utilizing cooperative contracts. A Purchase Order is required in advance of all goods purchased or services engaged in excess of $1,000 annually. Additionally, all Credit Card purchases require a Purchase Order regardless of purchase value.
The City makes most purchases based on the following dollar ranges:
- $0 – $999: Purchases may be authorized by the Department or Bureau Director.
- $1,000 – $19,699: Purchases which require a City approved Purchase Order in advance of the purchase of goods or engaging in services. Professional and Non-Professional services may require City Council approval at the discretion of the City Solicitor.
- $19,700 and above: Purchases made based on a formal solicitation. Professional and Non-Professional services may require City Council approval at the discretion of the City Solicitor. Purchases require a City approved Purchase Order in advance of the purchase of goods or engaging in services.
For further details on the City’s Purchasing Policy please view the Policy document link.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I submit a response to a solicitation?
To submit a solicitation response with the City, go to PENNBID and register. Registration requires providing information such as Legal Name and Tax ID. PENNBID provides a public clearinghouse of detailed information about current business opportunities with the City of Harrisburg. To participate in solicitation requests go to PENNBID:
- Register with PennBid
- Solicitation Tab: Enter “City of Harrisburg” under keyword
- Select solicitation by clicking “View”
- Review solicitation profile, download documents, and post questions
- Submit a bid/proposal
- Bids/Awards Tab: Review award information for all solicitations
Where can I find the MBE-WBE-DBE certification application?
Click here to download the MBE-WBE-DBE certification.
Where can I get the Mercantile/Business License application?
Click here to download the Mercantile License Application.