The City of Harrisburg is currently accepting applications for the position of Cashier I in the Office of the Treasurer. This is routine fiscal work involving transactions in receiving; accountability for receipting large amounts of cash; performing related clerical duties. Assignments are stable in nature and performed in accordance with instructions and established office procedures and methods. The employee is responsible for efficient operation of a cash receiving/disbursing window in the City revenue collection process. This work is performed under the supervision of the Deputy City Treasurer and/or the Assistant Deputy City Treasurer and reports to the same.
Qualified applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Five (5) years prior experience as a bank cashier required, or any acceptable equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The City of Harrisburg offers an annual salary starting at $45,330.82 . This full-time FLSA position also includes an excellent benefits package: defined pension plan, paid holidays, paid time off (vacation, sick and personal time) and health care benefits (medical, dental, prescription and vision). The City intends to fill this position as soon as possible. It will remain open until filled. If interested, please submit a cover letter, your resume and three employment references to:
City of Harrisburg, Bureau of Human Resources
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. City Government Center
10 N. 2nd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: (717) 255-6475
Email: [email protected] (electronic submission preferred)
The City of Harrisburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Wanda R. Williams, Mayor
JOB TITLE (GRADE: 8)
Office of the Treasurer
This is routine fiscal work involving transactions in receiving; accountability for receipting large amounts of cash; performing related clerical duties. Assignments are stable in nature and performed in accordance with instructions and established office procedures and methods. The employee is responsible for efficient operation of a cash receiving/disbursing window in the City revenue collection process. This work is performed under the supervision of the Deputy City Treasurer and/or the Assistant Deputy City Treasurer and reports to the same.
Work is performed at the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., City Government Center. Must have the ability to use an electronic calculator, computer terminal, copy machine, cash register, scanning equipment, validating machine, debit/credit card machines, other business machines, telephone, and computer equipment. Duties are typically performed weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; however, employee may be required to work evenings, weekends or holidays.
Waits on customers and receives payments for all City revenue collection; Issues receipts and inputs payments into terminal. Receives, counts and reports on cash and other charges. Receipts bills using validating, cash receipting or other input computer data equipment. Checks arithmetic computations incidental of cashiering duties. Makes daily settlement by checking and balancing cash negotiable instruments against receipted copies of bills and computer generated reports. Prepares daily settlement forms. Operates a cash register, validating machine, calculator, and other business machines. Validates bills and checks received; receives, and processes mail. Performs simple arithmetic calculations. Uses City records to gather historical information. Performs office filing of reports, correspondence and assists in the retrieval of the same. Researches customer complaints and other payment related situations as assigned. Routes complaints to the proper authority for action. Supplies general information about financial payments, taxes, etc., to the general public. Receives, opens, and scans mail as needed. Review and balances Mavro Imaging Machine batches on an as needed basis. Load toner and paper (weighing up to 20 lbs.) into copier. Maintain regular, punctual and predictable attendance. Reports to work and remains at work in a safe and productive condition. Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with supervisors, co-workers and the general public. Complete all assignments in an efficient, consistent and timely manner.
Performs other reasonable related duties in equal or lower classifications as assigned by immediate supervisor or other supervisory personnel. Performs other work as directed by supervisor in accordance with Section 1 of the Job Classification provisions of the Basic Labor Agreement.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the standard principles and practices governing cash transactions and business arithmetic
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures, methods, and equipment with particular reference to receiving and accounting for cash
- Thorough knowledge in the operation of data entry equipment, calculators, scanning equipment, debit/credit card machines, copy machines, and other modern business machines
- Knowledge on how to review and balance the Mavro Imaging Machine as this person may be needed to fill in for the Imaging Specialist on an as needed basis
- Ability to communicate with/train new employees on office procedures regarding teller activities and general day to day operations
- Ability to communicate effectively with general public
- Ability to prioritize work
- Ability to report to work and continue to work in a safe and productive condition
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) years prior experience as a bank cashier required.
- Or any acceptable equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.harrisburgpa.gov.