The City of Harrisburg is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard in the Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Police – Community Services Division. The Crossing Guard is a civilian position responsible for providing maximum protection and assisting children going to and returning from the Harrisburg School District by directing traffic so that school children may cross streets safely.
Qualified applicants will have a Federal (FBI) Criminal History Background Check. Mandated Reporter Training Certification Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History. High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The hourly rate for this part-time position is $20.00 per hour at a maximum of 25 hours a week.
The City intends to fill this position as soon as possible. It will remain open until filled/ If interested, please submit a cover letter, your resume, three employment references and salary history to:
City of Harrisburg, Bureau of Human Resources
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. City Government Center
10 N. 2nd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: (717) 255-6475
Email: [email protected] (electronic submission preferred)
The City of Harrisburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Wanda R.D. Williams, Mayor
Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Police – Community Services Division
This is a civilian position responsible for providing maximum protection and assisting children going to and returning from the Harrisburg School District by directing traffic so that school children may cross streets safely.
School crossing guards stop and direct traffic at assigned intersections during school days. They work part-time from 7:00 to 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., with adjustments for early dismissal days for a maximum of twenty-five hours a week. Employee may be exposed to adverse weather conditions and prolonged periods of standing.
Work involves but is not limited to the following: Chooses good times to step into street to create gaps in traffic. Verbally directs children across street. Stands in roadway with STOP paddle raised continuously to show that pedestrians are using the crosswalk. Recognizes and communicates potentially dangerous traffic situations and hazards in the environment
Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned by supervisor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of vehicular and pedestrian traffic for rights-of-way on City streets
- Knowledge of crossing guard equipment
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in controlling and directing individuals and groups in order to increase the safety of students traveling to and from school.
- Knowledgeable of the methods and techniques used in controlling and directing individuals and groups.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to relate to the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Understanding of road signs and regulations
- Ability to understand and perform instructions.
- Ability to perform duties under general supervision.
- Ability to perform duties under adverse work and climatic conditions
High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Federal (FBI) Criminal History Background Check
Mandated Reporter Training Certification
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.harrisburgpa.gov.