The City of Harrisburg is accepting applications for the position of Revenue Specialist I in the Department of Administration, Bureau of Licensing, Taxation and Central Support. The Revenue Specialist I performs a variety of revenue processing duties, mainly clerical/administrative and data entry in nature. Work is performed under moderate level supervision. This position reports to the Tax and Enforcement Administrator.
Qualified applicants must have two (2) years of experience in office work involving accounting, taxes, record keeping, and direct public contact and one (1) year collection work experience, or any acceptable equivalent combination of training and/or experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position. A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License, Class C, or equivalent is also required.
Compensation & Benefits
The City of Harrisburg offers an annual salary starting of $41,503.59. This full-time FLSA position also includes an excellent benefits package: defined pension plan, paid holidays, paid time off (vacation, sick and personal time) and health care benefits (medical, dental, prescription and vision).
The City intends to fill this position as soon as possible. It will remain open until filled.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, your resume, three employment references and salary history to:
City of Harrisburg, Bureau of Human Resources
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. City Government Center
10 N. 2nd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101
[email protected] (electronic submission preferred)
The City of Harrisburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Wanda R.D. Williams, Mayor
Job Title (Grade 6)
Revenue Specialist I
Department of Administration – Bureau of Licensing, Taxation and Central Support
The Revenue Specialist I performs a variety of revenue processing duties, mainly clerical/administrative and data entry in nature. Work is performed under moderate level supervision. This position reports to the Tax and Enforcement Administrator.
Work is performed at the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., City Government Center. Work involves the use of computer equipment, electronic calculator, scanning equipment, copier and telephones. Duties are typically performed weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Work involves, but is not limited to, the following: answering all types of tax, licensing and alarm related phone calls; filing, scanning, data entry and file creation. Processes dog licenses, false alarm payments and fuel licenses. Monitors and mails out our quarterly tax forms for amusement and business accounts. Initiates and mails out a variety of revenue enhancing correspondence. Reviews tax returns, licenses and enters new business applications when needed. Assist customers in person and over the telephone. Creates and updates forms and correspondence and performs other word processing/spread sheet tasks. Receives and processes mail as needed. Processes and enters license, tax and alarm related updates and payments. Perform a wide variety of revenue processing related tasks. Research historical account files for data and performs in-depth historical tracing of account information using hard-copy archive records. Makes credit/debit adjustments to accounts to correct errors. Prepare civil suit worksheets and coordinate fees required by the various District Justices and request checks as needed. Enter invoices and bills for payment into the Pentamation system. This position will also be responsible for assisting with the duties of the Administrative Assistant and Central Support Specialist as needed. Operate office machinery as necessary. Maintain regular, punctual and predictable attendance. Report to work and remains at work in a safe and productive condition, which includes not being under the influence or impaired by the use of alcohol and/or non-prescription drugs. Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with supervisors, co-workers and the general public. Complete all assignments in an efficient, consistent and timely manner.
Perform other reasonable related duties in equal or lower classifications as assigned by immediate supervisor. Perform other work as directed by supervisor in accordance with Section 1 of the Job Classification provisions of the Basic Labor Agreement. Process invoices and requisitions in the E-Finance (Pentamation) system.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of various office equipment (i.e., calculators, scanner, data processing terminals, personal computers, copiers, filing systems, fax and mail machines, etc.)
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Demonstrate high accuracy in work.
- Basic knowledge of general taxation principles.
- Basic knowledge of office terminology and of business/tax arithmetic and check processing procedures.
- Ability to prepare spreadsheets and reports as requested.
- Ability to compute interest and penalty on delinquent tax filings.
- Ability to report to work and continue to work in a safe and productive condition.
- Ability to communicate effectively with general public, both written and oral.
- Must be flexible and be able to focus on the work priority as directed at the moment.
- Good knowledge of the geographical boundaries of the City.
- Ability to deal assertively with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to set up and maintain accurate records and files.
- Knowledge of the City Treasury system and of payment posting.
- Knowledge of internal City mainframe programs (DCIT/DMET).
- At least two (2) years of experience as a Clerk Typist/Data Entry Operator with the Bureau of Licensing, Taxation and Central Support
- Or two (2) years of experience in office work involving accounting, taxes, record keeping and direct public contact and one (1) year collection work experience
- Or any acceptable equivalent combination of training and/or experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities of this position.
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License, Class C, or equivalent
To apply for this job please visit laserfiche.harrisburgpa.gov.