The City Engineer, implements and administers the provisions in the City’s Code of Ordinances and state/federal regulations relating to flood plain management, street cuts and storm water quality.
The City Engineer is also responsible for the issuance of paving and utility construction permits, approving plans and overseeing Plan Review. Additionally, the City Engineer is responsible for making engineering decisions, in accordance with the city’s standard contract documents and providing resolution or mediation to disputes emerging from City contracts.
The City Engineer is also responsible for the following:
- Planning, design, bid document preparation, and construction administration for planned capital improvement projects, including improvements to existing streets, sidewalks, utilities, drainage, traffic signals, signage, and streetlights
- Reviewing civil site plans for residential and commercial building permit applications
- Permitting street excavation, driveway, sidewalk, lane closure, and cooling water discharges
- Environmental regulatory compliance for development projects, ongoing municipal operations, and local storm water management
- Traffic safety planning and management
- City property and right-of-way management
- Horizontal and vertical survey control
- Serving as a repository for utility and roadway as-built drawings, technical reports, property plats, and right-of-way maps that date back several decades