Office of Health
The Harrisburg Health Officer and Office under the direction of the Bureau of Codes is responsible for carrying out measures for protecting public health, including administering and enforcing legislation related to a healthy community and providing support to minimize health and safety hazards.
The mission of the Harrisburg Health Office is to ensure the safety of foods consumed by City residents and visitors to the City of Harrisburg. The Heath office serves as a partner in promoting public safety. The Health office plays a vital role in regulating the food establishments in Harrisburg, to ensure they follow Federal, State and Local food safety laws.
The Harrisburg Health office inspects restaurants, convenience stores/markets, schools, day care centers, farmers markets, mobile food units, soup kitchens and all other types of food service.
The Officer is involved in a variety of activities. For example inspecting food facilities, investigating public health nuisances, and implementing disease control. The Health Officer is also focused on prevention, consultation, investigation, and education of the community regarding health risks and maintaining a safe environment.
Important Documents & Links
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find documents needed to adhere to health regulations?
You can view all documents related to health regulations by visiting our document portal.
Where can I find information on local health inspection reports?
You can view local health inspection reports on the Department of Agriculture webpage.
Where can I find information on National Health issues?
Where can I find information about Food Safety Education
Other Helpful links and information
- Holidays with COVID-19 (Safety Information)
- Food Safety Tips During the Holidays
- Partnership for Food Safety Education – https://www.fightbac.org
- USDA – Consumers can learn more about key food safety practices at Foodsafety.gov, by following @USDAFoodSafety on Twitter, and by liking Facebook.com/FoodSafety.gov. Consumers with questions about food safety can call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) or chat live with a food safety specialist at AskUSDA, available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, in English or Spanish.
- Drug & Alcohol Addiction Rehab, Treatment & Recovery Resources in Pennsylvania – https://www.help.org/drug-and-alcohol-rehab-centers-in-pennsylvania/
- National Health Issues
- Drug & Alcohol Addiction Resources
- Food Safety Information Provided by Government Agencies
- Recipes and Healthy Eating Tips
- Food Safety Tips
- Food Establishment Complaint Form
- Get Help Applying for Health Insurance
- Food Safety Inspection Reports
- Food Recalls