The Harrisburg Human Relations Commission (HHRC), is designed to administer, implement, and enforce the provisions of the City of Harrisburg’s Human Relations and Discrimination Code prohibiting discrimination.
The Code applies to discriminatory practices, including, but not limited to, discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, education, and lending, which occur in within the territorial limits of the City of Harrisburg and to employment, contracted for, performed, or to be performed within these limits, or by those contracting with the City.
Harrisburg City Government passed Harrisburg’s anti-discrimination ordinance to receive and investigate other complaints of discrimination against any person because of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, age, handicap or disability or the use of guide or support animals, marital status, familial status, general education development certificate (GED), or sexual preference/orientation.
Under this ordinance all persons in Harrisburg should enjoy the full benefits of citizenship and are afforded equal opportunities for employment, housing, and use of public accommodation facilities.
The HHRC was defunded in 2010, thus, direct discrimination complaints were referred to the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC). The Commission shall consist of nine members, eight of whom shall be appointed by the Mayor as provided below, and one of whom shall be appointed by City Council by resolution.
- Meeting Dates & Times
- Harrisburg Human Relations Commission (HHRC) 2018 Meeting Dates:
- January 8, 2018 re-scheduled to January 17, 2018 due to snow
- February 21, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- April 18, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- June 20, 2018
- July 9, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- September 10, 2018
- October 17, 2018
- NO MEETING due to Veterans Holiday and Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 19, 2018
Meetings will be held from 5:30pm – 7:00pm in the EOC, room number 213, of the Public Safety Building. Enter through main doors of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Building, 10 N. 2nd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101, and come across the 2nd floor bridge.
MEMBERS/TERM EXPIRATION (click name for bio)
- Russell A. Boggs (Chairman) – Resolution 94-2017-three year term expiring 11/14/20
- Gretchen M. Little (Vice Chair) – Resolution 97-2017-one year term expiring 11/14/18
- Christian Yellowdy – Resolution 91-2017 – One year term expiring 11/14/18
- Kia L. Hansard – Resolution 92-2017 – three-year term expiring 11/14/20
- Theo Braddy – Resolution 95-2017-one year term expiring 11/14/18
- Valerie Carelock – Resolution 98-2017 – two-year term expiring 11/14/19
- Joshua J. Grubbs – Resolution 99-2017-three year term expiring 11/14/20
- Amanda Carter – Resolution 101-2017- two-year term expiring 11/14/19
- Amanda Arbour – Resolution 110-2017-two year term expiring 11/14/19