FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 23, 2023
Contact: Melissa Mesones-Ortiz, Deputy Communications Manager
HARRISBURG — A pair of streets in South Harrisburg will undergo milling and paving, beginning Friday, August 25.
City of Harrisburg Public Works, with assistance from Shiloh Paving & Excavating Inc., will mill and pave Wayne Street, from S. 16th to S. 17th Streets, and Ione Street, from Wayne to Sycamore Street. Milling will take place Friday, with paving expected to begin Monday, August 28.
Please be advised if you live in these affected areas, you will need to move your vehicles.
Paving at Wayne and Ione Streets will be the seventh and eighth projects completed, out of 17 expected to be finished by City of Harrisburg Public Works and Shiloh before the end of PennDOT’s paving season on October 31. Streets will undergo milling, a process in which the top layer of the road is grinded up, before Public Works adds a layer of fresh pavement to the portion of the street. Projects will take place one at a time, starting on Fridays and wrapping up no later than Tuesday the following week. Residents who live on impacted blocks will be given 72 hours notification prior to any work starting.
All work done by City of Harrisburg employees will be completed by union workers belonging to AFSCME Local 521.
The paving projects slated for completion for the rest of 2023 were deemed to be the most urgent by Public Works officials. These locations are in Uptown, Allison Hill, South Harrisburg, and East Harrisburg neighborhoods. It is also not a final list, as more could be added, if necessary, along with new projects to begin in April 2024 when PennDOT’s construction season begins.
A list of projects scheduled for the remainder of 2023, in no particular order, are as follows:
- 17th Street, between State and Liberty
- 15th Street, between 22 S. 15th and Market
- 14th Street, between Derry and Mayflower
- Chestnut Street, between 15th and 17th
- 20th Street, between Bellevue and Cathedral
- 21st Street, between Brookwood and Berryhill
- Hale Street, between Magnolia and Rudy
- Wayne Street, between 16th and 17th
- Ione Street, between Wayne and Sycamore
- 4th Street, between Division and Reels
- Atlas Street, between Schyulkill and Seneca
- Hamilton Street, between 3rd and 5th
- Reily Street, eastbound lane between 7th and 6th
- 6th Street, southbound lane between Boyd and Reily
- Intersection of 20th & Zarker
- Intersection of 20th & Chestnut
- Intersection of 21st & Chestnut
All projects will be paved by City of Harrisburg Public Works with the exception of the 4th Street project, which is scheduled to begin in September.